Free will / Learning / Seeing

Henk Kok

Aug 15, 2020
Netherlands, Leiden
Syd compared the brain to a computer and I remember him saying you can only get out what you put in.
Is that correct? Perhaps it is.

I noticed something when it comes to learning / seeing.
When Im learning to draw, after sometime I start to see in the same structure and logic that I've been drawing.
Draw a lot of boxes in perspective and the world certainly starts to show itself with more perspective in it.
I notice the same for color. Watch a lot of a certain style of painting and I more easily notice that same pattern in the world.
This makes sense because I`m not seeing the world I`m dreaming it. Dreaming being: perception is Thought based.

Given that fact I notice that freewill sort of becomes a different deal.

We're free to think any way we want, in that sense we're not constrained by anything including God / the Principles.
But the credit for what we think is not independent from God / the Principles.

This has an implication for learning that I'm not quite able to find words for.
But its got to do something with no-thought or emptiness and constantly seeing new, in the moment.

I had hoped to find out more by writing it out but this is as far as I go with this one for now.

Brett Chitty

PTI Lead Trainer
Staff member
PTI Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2020
March, United Kingdom
I`m not seeing the world I`m dreaming it. Dreaming being: perception is Thought based.
Yep!
When I hear words like, "Life is a dream" I used to think "riiiiiiight" in a sarcastic tone. Well, it's amazing today how that same statement means something that carries a deep meaning for me.
We're free to think any way we want, in that sense we're not constrained by anything including God / the Principles.
But the credit for what we think is not independent from God / the Principles
Agreed.
I had hoped to find out more by writing it out but this is as far as I go with this one for now.
I look forward to hearing more whenever anything comes up for you.

Reactions: Henk Kok

Gerber 2985

Sep 9, 2020
Syd compared the brain to a computer and I remember him saying you can only get out what you put in.
Is that correct? Perhaps it is.
Thank you. Reading this was helpful.

I'm not sure how that connects to what you wrote afterwards about a type of learning or looking at that afterwards we start to see all over.
Just because we learn something or are busy looking at a certain area doesn't mean that we are compelled (by our free will) to put that in the computer.
But it is true that we might very well (unwittingly) with our free will (or 'using' of the principles) see those things (not as an active technique)

Yes we can only get what 'we' put in, our system vs the outside circumstances. (outside of the garden hose).
Given that fact I notice that freewill sort of becomes a different deal.

We're free to think any way we want,
in that sense we're not constrained by anything including God / the Principles.
I'm not sure what that means that free will becomes a different deal but I'm not necessarily inclined to do the free will discussion.
But to me that sentence seems to mean that one COULD get confused here and say that if I shop for red shoes, i end up seeing (having thinking human experience) of red shoes all over, (a phenomenon that my experience has noticed many times!) so then where is the free will?

But really that is not different than all the outside circumstances that seems that compels us to have certain outcomes but that is not true.
We may have that experience but we aren't compelled to.
So here too, it is fascinating that I end up seeing red shoes all over but that doesn't mean that I MUST and hense my free will understanding is not compromised.

but as I said I don't want to go there and potentially get tangled up there.-
I'm more interested in understanding the next lines (which are probably the same idea)

in that sense we're not constrained by anything including God / the Principles.

I understand that we are not constrained by anything. What would it mean that we aren't constrained by the principles?

But the credit for what we think is not independent from God / the Principles.

and what does this mean?

to me it means that all thinking comes from the Principles. I get that.

Can that mean simply that the system doesn't compel us in any way to think a certain set of thoughts while at the same time the fact that we have that experience is
a> certainly powered from the principles
b>is coming from the principles while us not being compelled in any way to think a certain thing

I know that sounds like a contradiction.

To me reading this entry tonight just had me see again that we aren't compelled by any circumstance.
On the one had it's fascinating that if shop for red shoes, i suddenly see that so many people have red shoes and at the same time I'm not compelled to see red shoes.

Thanks